Thursday, September 04, 2008

Part 3: It is Still Not About You

You know how someone can casually mention something and it just sticks with you? Well Gary Copeland once shared this wisdom with me: we don't just go to church for ourselves: we also go to provide support and fellowship for our brethren. His point was what if he just didn't go tonight and someone there really needed him?

The more I think about that, the more it gets to me.

I may not agree with much of Rick Warren's theology, but in A Purpose Driven Life he really nailed it when he said "It's not about you."

That's such a critical part of being a Christian - loving others - thinking about others - wanting to help them - as opposed to being only concerned about ourselves. And I think as we work to "become" more like Christ (instead of just checking off the rules), we find ourselves naturally being that way.

0 comments: