Friday, April 18, 2008

In or Out?

Did your mom ever say (or yell) "in or out!" when you were a kid, standing there holding the door open? Mine sure did. Did Jesus say the same thing to us?


I know your works: you are neither cold nor hot. Would that you were either cold or hot! So, because you are lukewarm, and neither hot nor cold, I will spit you out of my mouth. For you say, I am rich, I have prospered, and I need nothing, not realizing that you are wretched, pitiable, poor, blind, and naked. - Revelation 3:15-17, English Standard Version
Does it do us any good to be anything less than totally committed to Christ? Is he OK with us leading a mostly moral life, going to church occasionally (or regularly but with a bad attitude), reading the Bible once in a while, and praying only when we are in trouble? Are we all right if we just avoid doing anything really bad like selling drugs or murdering or robbing banks?

The words that I read in the Bible don't seem to indicate that. The message I get (all through the Bible, not just in Revelation) is that it is all or nothing - if I don't make following Christ the primary purpose of my life, I may as well ignore him.

I realize that different people are at different places in their relationship with God. We can each be at a different stage as long as we're striving as hard as we can to progress. But if we're not doing that - if we're not doing the best we can to be better at prayer, study and fellowship - then we're letting him down. Picture yourself standing before Jesus and answering the question of whether you really lived for him. If you see yourself having a hard time with that question, now is the time to get moving!

0 comments: